As founder of record label Eskimo Recordings and artist management agency Smile Mgmt, Dirk De Ruycks is a central figure in the local nightlife scene. That role is set to grow bigger as he launches the first edition of his newbie three-day festival this week, Listen. Billed as a “Brussels future music festival”, it boasts a line-up that reads like a who’s who of electronic music’s connaisseur community as well as a series of opening parties by some of the city’s foremost party purveyors (Captain Starlight and Sixsixsixties’ Holger, Rick Shiver’s Nosejob and Kwak’s Strictly Nicesess). Here, we ask him to select some of his favourite Belgian cuts for us.
1. Allez Allez – Allez Allez (1982 – Scalp Records)
Brussels based funk, wave band. Released a best of from them around 2005 with remixes from Lindstorm, Prins Thomas, Aeroplane amongst others. Classic!
2. Tc Matic – Middle Class & Blue Eyes (Live) (1983 – EMI)
Probably the best Belgian band ever. Here an outstanding live performance of ‘Middle Class & Blue Eyes’ for the Dutch tv.
3. Snowy Red – Euroshima (Wardance) – (1982 – Dirty Dance)
Belgian electro/wave classic, picked up in the pre-new beat area, to become a classic.
4. Zazou Bikaye Cy1 – Dju Ya Feza (1983 – Crammed)
French artist who came to Brussels to record an album for Crammed. Pre – New Beat dance floor classic.
5. Toy – Suspicion (1981 – Payola)
Belgian one hit wonder. Influenced by the Uk Post Punk scene. Another classic!
6. Nacht Und Nebel – Ready To Dance (1885 – Antler)
Ghent based band with an enormous singer called Patrick Nebel. Love this video.
7. Antena – Camino Del Sol (1982 – Disques Du Crepuscule)
Released on the classic ‘Disques Du Crepuscule’ label. Pure bliss.
8. Get A Load Of This – Guaranteed Raw (1990 – R&S)
Build around a loop of a James Brown track, produced by R&S boss Renaat Vandepapeliere himself.
9. Amnesia – Ibiza (1988 – Indisc)
Anthem from the ‘New Beat’ area. Still rocking the floors today.
10. Deus – Hotellounge (1994 – Bang)
Sounds as fresh as it came out. Timeless.
11. Mike Antony ‘Why Can we Live Together’ (1982 – Ca$ch Records)
Classic Timmy Thomas song covered by Mike Anthony and recorded in Belgium. The original founders of Music Mania and Usa Import are credited as co-producers.