After Jef Claes scoured Antwerp for us, young talented photographer Adriaan Hauwaert takes the next step in our ongoing series on breathing new life into old spaces and buildings. He takes a stroll through Ghent, aiming his lense at Nucleo’s office spaces in a former school and the museum Huis van Alijn, a former chapel and hospital.
The Koninklijk Technisch Atheneum (KTA), built in 1827, is the oldest technical school in Flanders. Nucleo, an organisation whose goal is to encourage creativity and art, finished the contract with the owner in 2010 and now the whole left wing is under their management. After renovation works between August and December 2011, the former school now hosts 23 artists in 16 studios and two classrooms for Sint-Lucas Beeldende Kunst Gent.
Huis van Alijn, Ghent
Huis van Alijn, which has hosted a Folklore museum since 1962, was built back in the 14th century and first served as a children’s hospital made up of eight little houses. In 1513, a chapel and more houses were added and in 1883 the premises were sold to an industrialist who used it as a living space for working-class families. After the city of Ghent had bought the building (classified as a historic monument in 1943) and following a thorough restoration according to the plans of architect Valentin Vaerwijck, the collection from the former “Folklore Museum” moved into the buildings.