We’ve toured the country in search of the best basketball courts, asking some of Belgium’s most notorious ballers to name their favourite. And not just because the sport holds a special place here at The Word Magazine – our design director Pierre’s a little-known hero of the country’s third division league – but also because it’s summertime and, well, what better way to spend the last hours of the day by shooting a few three-pointers with the homies.
Order our book This is Belgium for more Art, Food, Photography, Music, Travel and Neighbourhood tips from the magazine’s team of editors.
1. Best for 21’s: Andromède
Avenue Andromède 55
2. Best for young athletes: Le Logis à Boisfort
Georges Benoidtlaan 22 1170 Watermaal-Bosvoorde
3. Best for benches: Square Marguerite
4. Best for “take it to the hole”: Quai Aux Pierres de Taille
5. Best for contests: Stade d’Ixelles
6. Best for streetball: Antwerpen Dageraadplaats
7. Antwerpen Haantjeslei
9. Best for fresh air: Blaarmeersen
10. Best for urban games: Ghent Keizerpark
11. Best for deep treat: Ghent Baudelopark
12. Best for teamwork: Awans – Royal BC
13. Best for team work: Liège La Plaine de Cointe