What would be your two-minute elevator pitch?
Inspired by Japanese karaoke, BOA Karaoke Room’s concept is to encourage the aspiring crooner to sing tunes surrounded by friends, hidden from prying eyes in private rooms with a trendy decor. Each room is different in size and atmosphere, accommodating groups of 6 to 15 people for at least two-hour slots, while our adjacent cocktail bar is open to all before and after these sessions. Every room is equipped with high-tech equipment: HD TVs, professional wireless microphones, Bose speakers, customisable lighting and touchpads. Furthermore, we offer a vast catalogue of 28,000 songs in six different languages. BOA Karaoke Room is available to all and is ideal for any kind of happening: evenings with friends, teambuilding sessions, coming-of-age parties or children’s birthday parties.
List three factors that make Brussels’ entrepreneurship landscape unique.
- The capital of Europe, but still on a modest scale.
- A very cosmopolitan capital, with an international clientele.
- A dynamic and young city filled with budding executives who love to socialise, whilst also remaining a family-friendly city. Many people come to BOA as a family!
Once you’ve signed all the necessary paperwork, do plenty of digital marketing to make your mark on social media.
What are the three biggest challenges you faced when starting up your business?
- Finding the right locale – size, façade, air conditioning – in the right neighbourhood.
- Finding the right digital company that would make sure our website was top-notch – we met a lot!
- Finding the right team made up of qualified staff to accompany us on this adventure.
How did you benefit from hub.brussels’ expertise in the conception of your business?
They received us numerous times, advising us on all things, from setting up our business in the city centre to designing a reliable business plan which would be favourable in their OpenSoon call for proposals. Furthermore, thanks to hub.brussels we were granted subsidies which reimbursed our rent costs during renovations.
List three pieces of advice you would give to the budding entrepreneur.
- Before setting up your business, make sure to study the neighbourhood and market well in advance. You can always reach out to hub.brussels as they have all the necessary information on Brussels’ municipalities.
- Once you’ve signed all the necessary paperwork, do plenty of digital marketing to make your mark on social media.
- Start looking for subsidies at the very onset of your project, and make sure you have a wide enough cash margin when launching to cover any contingency.