Describe yourself, your background and what you do today.
I arrived in Brussels at the age of 13 from Asturias, Spain. After studying anthropology, I went to Barcelona to study new media art. Since then, I’ve been working as an artist.
How has Brussels shaped you as an individual as well as your professional activities?
After living several years in Barcelona, I realised that Brussels was a great city for being (more) focussed. Renting was cheap at the time, and it continues to have an interesting cultural life. Belgium also supports artists in many different ways, while being an artist in Spain right now is close to impossible.
List three things you like the most about Brussels, bike-related or not.
- The fact that a lot of neighbourhoods are still quite mixed in terms of socioeconomic differences. I think it’s one of the best things that make up the identity of this city.
- The quality of its local art scene; its artists, galleries, collections and institutions.
- The variety of concert venues.
List three deciding factors that converted you to bicycle use.
- I love bikes and biking.
- Pollution and traffic in this city are horrible and will only get worse if we don’t act soon. Brussels would be a hundred times nicer if there were less cars and much more bikes. Biking is freedom. People should not be scared by the weather – you just have to be well equipped to get through the winter.
- Public transport in Brussels is not the most efficient.
Pollution and traffic in this city are horrible and will only get worse if we don’t act soon.
List three favourite bike routes in Brussels.
- I love my everyday route to work, from the bottom of Forest / Vorst to Molenbeek, a flat trip of average distance – perfect for a fixie ride.
- I like riding along the canal. It has some great industrial city views and there are cycling routes all along the way. Plus, this part of the city is actively being transformed.
- I like riding through the city’s woods with a gravel bike. Few cities have such an incredible forest within the city.