What would be your two-minute elevator pitch?
The cooperative project WeCo Store aims to make sustainable textiles more visible and accessible through the creation of a shop in Brussels. We select a completely sustainable range of timeless clothes and accessories for both men and women, as well as second-hand clothes from brands which meet our ethical charter’s selection criteria. But WeCo Store is more than just a shop! We organise various workshops in order to encourage a new way of buying and consuming and to make everyone aware that alternative fashion is possible.
List the factors that make Brussels’ entrepreneurship landscape unique.
- The people of Brussels are varied, curious and open-minded. This makes challenging and meeting our target customers easier.
- There are many business support organisations out there. We ourselves had the great opportunity to be guided by many of them, such as citydev.brussels’ local economy hubs, COOPCITY and of course, hub.brussels.
What are the three biggest challenges you faced when starting up your business?
- Surrounding ourselves.
- Building a strong and harmonious team.
- Communication, one of the main skills necessary to develop a new project. It was particularly challenging because we didn’t have any previous background in running a store.
Surround yourself with competent people, combining your entire team’s collective intelligence to create an environment for success.
How did you benefit from hub.brussels’ expertise in the conception of your business?
We were selected to set up in the pop-up store L’Auberge Espagnole, which was a great opportunity to test our concept out. Their 1819 hotline was also instrumental in giving us financial aid and legal consultancy.
List three pieces of advice you would give to the budding entrepreneur.
- Surround yourself with competent people, combining your entire team’s collective intelligence to create an environment for success.
- Start small and take your time to grow your business step by step.
- Never let yourself doubt your project.